SEO For Dentists
Gone are the days of just putting up a website and updating it as needed. Your website needs search engine optimization to appear in search results online. SEO helps search engines like Google understand what your website is about, who to show it to, and when. Here’s what you should know about SEO and how it can help grow your dental practice.
What are SERPs?
A search is a question, and SERPs are Google’s response. The term “SERP” stands for search engine results page. These results are cultivated using an algorithm made up of over 200 different known ranking factors that also change constantly. There are different methods and resources you can use to get your business to show up in the SERPs, such as:
- Search Engine Optimization: SEO helps your website climb the SERPs organically. It is a long-term strategy, meaning it will take 4-6 months of consistent work to show results.
- Google Advertisements: Google Ads are the best way to get your business to the top of the SERPs at the beginning of your marketing campaign. By targeting specific terms, you’re able to pay to have your website shown to users that might be interested in it.
- Google Business Profile: In addition to your website, a Google Business Profile, formerly known as Google My Business listing, allows you to customize your practice’s appearance on search. This is also how your business appears on Google Maps.
SERPs contain different features that help users find what they’re looking for. In the case of a dental practice, results often appear in what’s called a “Local Pack.” The Local Pack includes a map and snippets from the top 3 local search results. Unlike your typical SERP, these are taken from your Google Business Profile. When a user clicks on your business name from the local pack, they’re taken to your profile, where they can see your address, phone number, and a link to your dental practice’s website.
Users are 47% more likely to click on results in the local pack versus those that show up beneath it. So how do you get your business to show up in the top three? To compete in the SERPs, websites need SEO or Search Engine Optimization.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization utilizes practices implemented while creating and updating websites to help Google understand the content and decide who should see it. A few examples of SEO best practices are
- Technical Optimization: Page loading speed, usability, and mobile-friendliness impact both the user experience and your SEO.
- Engaging content with keywords: Successful websites have engaging, useful content written with specific keywords and phrases that help define the topic, as well as location.
- Backlinking: Having links to your website listed on other sites. Backlinks add value to your site by indicating that your content is useful.
- Consistent updates: Consistently updating or adding new content to your website indicates to Google that your website is both active and has relevant information. This is one of the most important aspects of SEO.
SEO Content For Dentists
The content on your website should contain not only relevant information about your business but also showcase your expertise, authority, and trustworthiness (EAT) in your respective field. If optimized correctly, the content will appease both Google and the potential patients who find it.
In your case, the content focuses on dental care topics such as teeth cleanings, root canals, etc. This helps increase your authority and expertise in the eyes of Google, increasing the likelihood that your content will show up when people search for specific dental services or ask questions like “how long does a dental cleaning take?”
In addition to optimizing your website content for search using relevant keywords, it’s also important to have content that is informative, useful, and appealing to the reader. The likelihood that the user will entrust their dental health with you increases by finding the answers to their Google search on your dental practice’s website.
Relevant content paired with media such as videos or photos is more likely to keep users engaged and on the page longer. The time a user spends on your site is important to Google, as it indicates the webpage is valuable.
How Long Does SEO Take To Work?
While it can happen faster, SEO can take 4-6 months to start climbing the SERPs. After 6 months, most offices start to see the results of consistent SEO efforts. Google’s number one goal is to show the most relevant information in response to a search, and it takes time to prove to Google that your website is worthy. SEO is a form of passive marketing. It operates in the background and helps build your business slowly and steadily. Here’s a basic timeline of what to expect during an SEO campaign:
- Month 0-4: The early stages of your campaign are spent building a strong foundation. This includes keyword research, setting up tracking on your website, creating backlinks, setting up any additional business listing on sites such as Yelp, and addressing any technical issues present on your website that may impact its responsiveness and page speed. Content creation also begins, and your website will be updated with a new page periodically.
- Month 4-6: Your site will start to rank for some targeted terms. Periodic technical updates will keep your site running smoothly.
- Month 6-12: The six-month mark is when you will begin to see a steady influx of traffic and conversions on your site. The content on your site will shift from broader categories to more specific services, helping cover a broader range of terms and phrases.
- Years 1-2: After a full year, you’ll start truly seeing the benefits of SEO. You will get a true return on your investment and will continue to see steady growth in your search engine visibility.
SEO for Dental Practices at EOS Healthcare Marketing
Although you may have a beautiful website, people won’t be able to find it without SEO. Search Engine Optimization is an effective long-term dental marketing strategy that will keep directing new patients to your website and through your doors. EOS Healthcare Marketing specializes in SEO for dental practices. Call us at 886-238-6583 to begin your digital marketing strategy today.